Thursday, May 8, 2014

Changing Diapers: Making the Switch From Disposable to Reusable


That's right. We are making the switch! Call me crazy, but it's something I've wanted to do since before Landon was born. I didn't get very much positive feedback about it. It's too hard. It's too difficult. Nobody sticks with it. I got discouraged on the idea, and so we've just been adding to the landfill the past ten months. However, a few weeks ago Landon and I participated in the Great Cloth Diaper Change and I changed him with a borrowed diaper. Easy peasy!! So we may be ten months behind on this whole cloth diaper thing, but we are taking steps toward a more sustainable approach to diapering. 

Well, it turns out it's quite stressful to buy cloth diapers on a budget. The dang things AREN'T cheap, not even when you're buying used. Sigh. I've been searching HIGH and LOW. Reading up on how to buy them for cheap... Which turns out, $14 a diaper is cheap. When you need at least 20 of them, that is NOT cheap. Craigslist and eBay have turned out to be the best bets. 


I am looking to buy the above fuzzibunz diapers (25 of them total) from a lady in Denver. I like that they have the snaps, and they are a good price. She is also including detergent and a sprayer.  I was looking to buy ten fuzzibunz and 14 Bumpkins from a lady in Lafayette, but when she sent me the pictures, I just didn't think they were in good enough condition and I prefer snaps to Velcro. 

 The prints are super cute, but the Velcro just looks really worn on some of them. I thought this was the route we were going to go, but I got cold feet. She didn't even send me pictures of her Fuzzibunz. So I think we are going to go with the others. 

BUT, I made some bids on eBay, and it looks like I may be getting these Sunbaby diapers as well. Which is really stretching our budget, but it's a great deal on some nice diapers and we can use the extra ones to help save on the amount of laundry! 


Well, then I also have put in bids on a few others. 
gDiapers.
Bumgenius 4.0s.

and I really wanted these Charlie Banana diapers (below) but they're just out of my price range. Sigh. 


If you're reading this and you're a cloth diaper user, please, please give me your feedback!! I really don't know what to look for. If you can tell me what I may need besides the diapers themselves, that would be wonderful as well. Lastly, do I need special night time diapers? 

Thanks so much, y'all! We are super excited to make this change! My only regret is that we didn't do it a long time ago!! 

Have a great day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment